Saint Angela Merici has been a part of a rich history – from its humble beginnings to today’s community. With over 50 years of existence, five pastors, two church buildings, and one loving community in White Oak, Saint Angela has truly been blest.
Sept.1952 - Catechism classes begin in the American Legion Home taught by the Sisters from St. Pius V School.
Mar. 19, 1953 - Thirty-five women meet with the pastor of St. Pius for his permission to organize a Catholic women's organization in White Oak Borough. It is the intent of these women to grow in numbers and to focus all their efforts for a Catholic Church in White Oak.
Aug. 1953 - Due to the outgrown facilities of the Catechism classes in the Legion Home, classes are held in the Lee family’s barn.
1958 - Catechism classes move to the Rainbow Gardens Roller Rink and receive support from The White Oak Women's Guild.
June 1958 - The Parish of St. Angela Merici is found to serve the Catholics of White Oak. Father Raymond Higgins serves as the first pastor celebrating mass in the old Rainbow Roller Rink.
July 24, 1960 - Groundbreaking ceremonies launch the erection of the Saint Angela Merici Parish and the Saint Angela Merici School building.
Aug. 20, 1961 - The first Mass in the completed church (now the second floor of Mon Yough Catholic School) is offered by the pastor.
Sept. 1961 - The parish school opens its doors to two grades of primary students.
Dec. 1961 - The formal dedication of the new church/school facility is celebrated at a Pontifical Mass by John Cardinal Wright, then Bishop of Pittsburgh.
June 1966 - Father Thomas O'Connell succeeds Father Higgins as pastor.
Aug, 29, 1968 - Father Cyril Drap succeeds Father Thomas O’ Connell as pastor.
Sept. 27, 1975 - Father Drap passes away and assistant pastor, Father Farmer, takes over as a temporary pastor.
Nov. 1975 - Father Stephen Chervenak assumes the duties as the fourth pastor.
- Groundbreaking for the Father Drap Memorial Center takes place the same month.
Sept. 11, 1976 - The Father Drap Memorial Center is completed .The new center includes a multipurpose gymnasium/auditorium/cafeteria with full kitchen, meeting rooms and rest rooms to the parish
Sept. 1976 - Pre-school and kindergarten classes are added to the school due to the request of Father Chervenak.
June 1983 - The parish celebrates its Silver Anniversary.
2001 - Groundbreaking occurs for the current St. Angela Merici Church building.
Jan 26, 2002 - A mass and dedication ceremony for the new church building is held by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, then Bishop of Pittsburgh.
2008 - The parish celebrates its 50th Anniversary
Jan. 22, 2012 - Saint Angela Merici School celebrates its 50th Anniversary. That same year, the school merges with St. Joseph Regional Catholic School and becomes Mon Yough Catholic School.
Oct. 20, 2013 - Father Kevin Dominik succeeds Father Chervanak as pastor.
Serving as principal celebrant for the dedication of the new church, Bishop Wuerl wrote that the completion of the new church “can be attributed both to the faith and generosity of the parish membership and the capable administration of the pastor and his collaborators.” This beautiful church is a tribute to the men and women who had a vision more than 50 years ago of a strong, worshipping, Catholic community in White Oak. We give praise and thanks to God for those who have worked together to build this parish community, and pray that we may continue to build a blessed and fruitful community of the Body of Christ here in White Oak.