For our non-Catholic members and those interested in becoming Catholic, we offer educational programs and classes to inform you and make you feel at ease in this process. The RCIA program is designed for non-Catholic adults who are interested in joining the Catholic Church while CCD, Children’s Liturgy of the Word, and Vacation Bible School are educational programs offered to children. Please read below for further information or contact the parish office.
The Rite of Christian Initiation Program (RCIA) is a program that welcomes men and women into the Catholic Church. Every individual is guided by the priest and an RCIA support team through every stage. Members begin by forming a relationship with Jesus Christ and learning about the Catholic Church. RCIA candidates then begin study scripture and gain a deeper understanding of the Catholic faith and beliefs. Candidates may then consult with the priest to receive the initiation sacraments of Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation. Once the individual has received these sacraments and has become a member of the universal Catholic Church, a period of reflection takes place.
For those interested in joining the RCIA support team, please see our “Outreach Community Groups” under our “Ministries and Organizations” tab.
Students & Families
Religious formation is a lifelong process. Its purpose is to make a person’s faith become living, conscious and active through the light of instruction. Catechists provide instruction to our students attending public school grades 1-8; prepare them for the sacraments and develop community through prayer and worship among the students and their families.
- The first catechesis class for grades first through eighth will be beginning on September 17th from 9:30-10:45AM.
- Classes will be held at this time every Sunday, with the exception of school breaks/holidays, unless otherwise noted in the bulletin or on the Church calendar.
Enrollment & Fees:
- Students in first through seventh grade are automatically enrolled in the CCD for the next year. Only upcoming first grade students or new parishioners will need to be registered.
- Registration can be completed on our website www.stangelamericiparish.org/CCD
- If unable to register online paper copies of the registration form are located in the Parish office and can be dropped in collection basket.
- For parishioners the registration/tuition fee to help cover the cost of videos, textbooks, crafts and other materials is $30 per student. The fee for families with two students is $50. For three or more students the fee is $60.
- Non parishioners are required to pay $50 per student.
- Fees can be dropped off in the faith formation office (located in the parish offices) or sent in with your child on the first day of school. Please have your tuition payment sent in by September 17, 2017.
- Checks can be made out to St. Angela Merici Parish. If tuition causes undue hardship please contact me via the information listed at the end of this letter.
A catechist must be an active, fully-initiated adult and a practicing Catholic. He or she should be a person of prayer, flexibility, relational skills and humor. The Catechist must adhere to all the requirements under the Diocesan Safe Environment Policy. Classes meet on Sunday Mornings from 9:30 – 10:50 AM. There are two retreat/instructional days held on Saturdays. We'd also love to develop a high school education program for the parish. Please call the Religious Education Office at (412) 672-0913 or email email@example.com to find out more.
Children’s Liturgy of the Word
During every 11:00 AM Sunday mass from August until May, young children have the opportunity to have the weekly readings and Gospel explained in easier terms that they will understand. Before the first reading is read, Father calls all children to be led by a religious education leader to one of the adjoining classrooms where the leader will read and explain the message of the Sunday Gospel. Children are brought back into the church after the homily during the petitions. Volunteers are always welcome! Call the parish office at (412) 672-9641 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Vacation Bible School
Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a week-long summer program which provides faith formation for children from pre-school to fourth grade. Children learn to apply biblical and church teachings to their lives through instruction, skits, music, crafts, and worship time. VBS is usually the third or fourth week in June. The time commitment is approximately two hours for five days. All children are welcome to attend and volunteers are always encouraged to help. (All volunteers who are over 18 years of age must have child abuse clearance) Registration and Volunteer forms are located by the bulletin board in the gathering space. If you have any questions, please call the parish office or email email@example.com